Yield: 24 servings.
Balsamic marinated Onions:
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 quart red onion, very thinly sliced
- 9 quarts salad greens, torn
- 3 quarts seasonal salad ingredients, cut up
- 3 cups feta or blue cheese
- 3 cups vinaigrette dressing
For balsamic marinated onions: Thoroughly mix balsamic vinegar, sugar and water. Pour over onions, turning them to coat. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 days, periodically turning onions in marinade so they get evenly flavored and softened.
For garden salad: For each serving, portion 11/2 cups salad greens onto plate. Top with 1/2 cup cut-up salad vegetables and 2 Tbsp. crumbled cheese. Lift about 2 Tbsp. marinated onions from marinade and portion onto salad. Drizzle with 2 Tbsp. vinaigrette dressing.