From: Chef Fred Manion, Lennie's Brewpub, Bloomington, in. This recipe won the Salad Category of the "Anything Goes with Turkey" innovative Menu Contest. Yield: 4 servings.
- 3 Tbsp. chile powder
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 cups tomatoes, medium dice and seeded
- 1 cup frozen corn, uncooked, thawed and drained
- 1 cup black beans, cooked, rinsed and drained
- 1 avocado, medium dice
- 1/2 cup red onion, small dice
- 3 Tbsp. jalapenos, canned and minced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
Cilantro Lime Dressing:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped, packed
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 4 6-oz. turkey cutlets
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 6 cups mixed salad greens (romaine, iceberg and spinach, cut and tossed)
- 1/2 cup corn tortilla chips
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- as needed, tomato wedges
For spice crust: Mix together chile powder, oregano, basil, garlic powder, sugar and cayenne pepper.
For salsa: Mix together tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado, red onion, jalapenos, lime juice, salt and garlic. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
For dressing: Whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, cilantro leaves, lime juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Refrigerate 1/2 hour to allow flavors to blend.
For turkey: Brush turkey cutlets with small amount of oil and coat with approximately 1 tsp. spice mix per side. Grill cutlets 3 to 4 minutes per side or until done, or cook over medium heat in a saute pan in a small amount of oil for the same time.
For salad: Place 11/2 cups chilled mixed greens on each chilled individual serving plate and top with 1 cup Southwestern Salsa. Cut turkey (one cutlet per serving) into julienne strips and arrange on salad. Garnish with tortilla chips, shredded Monterey Jack and tomato wedges. Serve dressing on the side.