Yield: 3 ¼ lbs.
1 ½ lbs. part-skim ricotta cheese
1 lb. nonfat yogurt
12 fluid oz. maple syrup or honey
1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
Vegetable spray as needed
1 oz. powdered sugar
3 ¼ oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
¼ oz. gelatin powder
3 Tbsps. water
14 oz. dairy base (recipe follows)
2 oz. cocoa powder
6 fluid oz. pasteurized egg whites
1 ¾ oz. sugarDIRECTIONS:1. For Dairy Base: Puree the ricotta in a food processor or blender until very smooth.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and process until incorporated.
3. Flavor as desired. Reserve.
4. For Bavarians: Lightly spray the insides of ten 3 inch wide x 2 inch deep ring molds with vegetable spray and dust with powdered sugar. Place the molds on a sheet pan lined with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
5. Melt the semisweet chocolate in a double boiler.
6. Bloom the gelatin in the water for 5 minutes. Dissolve over simmering water.
7. Combine the dairy base with the warm chocolate and heat very gently in a double boiler.
8. Sift the cocoa powder into the chocolate mixture. Add the dissolved gelatin and whisk until smooth. Cool the mixture to room temperature.
9. Place the egg whites and sugar over a double boiler. Warm the mixture to 100°F (55°C), whisking gently. Remove the mixture from the heat and whip to medium peaks. Fold into chocolate mixture.
10. Pipe the mixture into the molds, cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
11. To Serve: Carefully slide each Bavarian out of the mold.SERVINGS:10 BavariansFrom:Reprinted with permission from The Professional Chef’s Techniques of Healthy Cooking, Second Edition