INGREDIENTS:1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cooked
2 oz. butter
½ cup flour
4 oz. sugar
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. nutmeg
1 cup half & half
3 Tbsps. fresh lemon juice
2 tsps. vanilla extract
1 9-inch walnut crust pie shell (recipe follows)
Walnut Pie Crust
Yield: 1 deep dish pie crust
13 oz. flour
8 oz. shortening
½ oz. salt
3 oz. sugar
½ oz. cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts*
½ cup waterDIRECTIONS:1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. In a mixer, thoroughly blend the sweet potatoes and butter on low speed for 3 minutes. Add flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, eggs and nutmeg and mix well. Reduce speed, and add the half & half, lemon juice and vanilla.
3. Beat until light and fluffy. Check taste and add more sugar if necessary. Pour mixture into unbaked pie shell.
4. Place pie on a sheet pan in a preheated oven. Bake until pie has a deep golden brown color, about 35-40 minutes.
5. Cool completely and garnish with whipped cream.
Walnut Pie Crust:
1. In mixer, cut flour into shortening using pastry blend on low speed. Mix for about 3 minutes. Do not overmix. Blend salt, sugar, cinnamon, walnuts and water into flour mixture for 3 minutes.
2. Chill mixture for 20 minutes and then cut into two portions. One should be approximately 8 ounces for the bottom crust, the other will be used for the top crust.
*Pecans or sliced almonds can be substituted.
SERVINGS:1 pieFrom:Recipes from Chef Lester Scott, Federal Reserve (SMS), Richmond, VA