INGREDIENTS: Pie Crust
4 lbs. 9 oz. cake flour
3 lbs. 1 oz. shortening
2 ¼ cups water
3 oz. sugar
1 ½ oz. salt
food coloring, egg shade, as needed
2 gals. low-fat milk
½ oz. salt
4 lbs. 3 oz. sugar
2 lbs. 1 ½ oz. frozen egg yolks, thawed
1 lb. ½ oz. cornstarch
4 lbs. 3 oz. margarine
1 ¾ oz. imitation vanilla flavoring
2 lbs. 2 ½ oz. angel flake coconut
6 lbs. 4 oz. whipped topping (recipe follows)
5 lbs. 4 oz. non-dairy whipped topping
11 ½ oz. powdered sugar
5 ¼ oz. imitation vanilla flavoringDIRECTIONS: For Pie Crust:
1. Place one half of the flour in the bottom of a mixing bowl. Add all shortening, broken into a number of pieces.
2. Use a cake paddle and lowest speed setting on a commercial mixer. Mix until shortening and flour are blended, similar to a cookie dough. Blend until streusel size. Add remaining flour. Blend until streusel size.
3. Add water and remaining ingredients. Mix until blended.
4. Rest dough mixture for at least 1 hour.
5. Place dough in pie pans and bake in a convection oven at 375°F for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
For Cream Filling:
1. Heat milk to scalding in steam kettle. Add salt and sugar.
2. Combine egg yolks and cornstarch. Add a small amount of warm milk to the egg yolk mixture. Combine.
3. Add this mixture slowly into the hot milk, mixing constantly. Cook until thick.
4. Add margarine, vanilla and coconut to the hot filling. Mix well.
5. Place 1 quart of filling into each baked pie shell.
6. Top pies with whipped topping and chill.
For Whipped Topping:
1. Place whipped topping in bowl. Whip with rotary beater on #2 speed with wire whip until gloss disappears.
2. Add powdered sugar and vanilla.
3. Whip until well mixed.
SERVINGS:100 portions, 7.33 oz. slicesFrom:Recipe from Bev Bilotta, Hallmark Cards’ Crown Room, Kansas City, MO