Winner: Spaghetti & Meatballwich
Restaurant: The Carving Board, Los Angeles
Sandwich Creator: David Adir
Inspiration: “Our menu is American comfort food in sandwich form. We have things like pot roast, turkey dinner, braised barbecue beef. Spaghetti and meatballs is a corner stone of comfort food, and no one would think to put it in handheld form. We spent a lot of time trying to find a way to incorporate pasta into bread. After hundreds of try we perfected it.”
Key Ingredients: Spaghetti bread and house-made meatballs.
Food Cost: $2.90
What the Judges Said: The idea of turning spaghetti and meatballs into a sandwich is a bit crazy, but the mad scientists at The Carving Board came up with a crazy good sandwich. At first glance you shake your head, but then you pick the sandwich up with your hands, dunk it into the marinara and you not only get it, you make it disappear like David Copperfield.
• Momma’s Wellington, Certé, New York City
• Meatloaf on Brioche, Apple Farm, San Luis Obispo, CA
• Atomic Meatloaf Meltdown, All Star Sandwich Bar, Cambridge, MA
• Smokehouse, Bade Truck, Wellington, KS
• The Trombo, Spalla’s Chicago Italian Beef, Natick, MA