Winner: Lobster Roll
Restaurant: Grand Banks, New York City
Sandwich Creator: Chef/Owner Kerry Heffernan
Inspiration: “The classic New England lobster roll, with an emphasis on sustainability and freshness.”
Key Ingredients: Herb, fennel, lemon, dulse emulsion and boat-made pickles on a toasted bun served with New Bay-spiced chips.
What the Judges said: We’re of the belief that if you can secure beautifully fresh lobster for a lobster roll sandwich, the less you mess with it, the better. As you can see here, Heffernan let’s the sustainable harvested lobster speak for itself. He does, however, kiss the sandwich with an emulsion of dulse, which is a red algae that delivers an umami-rich flavor not found in other lobster roll sandwiches. It’s not an overt flavor, just one that makes you say, “Damn!” after you’ve taken a bite. The Grand Banks is a 142-foot schooner docked at Pier 25 on the Hudson River, which explains the term boat-made pickles.
• Stonington Maine Lobster Roll, Acadia, Chicago
• Oyster Roll, Rapp Session, Richmond, VA
• Crab Cake Po’ Boy, Miss Shirley’s Café, Baltimore
• Hot Lobster Roll, Abbott’s Lobster in the Rough, Noank, CT
• Lobster Roll, Bob’s Clam Hut, Kittery, ME