Winner: The Irish Cubano
Restaurant: Grub, Hollywood, CA
Sandwich Creator: Chef Betty Fraser
Inspiration: “We have an amazing pulled pork on the menu, but wanted to introduce corned beef, but nothing traditional. Cubanos were becoming very hip so we made our own version using beer-braised corned beef with our pulled pork.”
Key Ingredients: Pulled pork and beer-braised corned beef.
Price: $13.99 (comes with a side dish)
Food Cost: $1.34
What the Judges Said: We’ll admit up front we’re a sucker for a Cuban sandwich, and we’ve eaten plenty. But we’ve never seen anyone so cleverly blend corned beef with pulled pork. Pulled pork is interesting on its own, but when it makes sweet love to corned beef, well, you’ve got yourself a party.
• Foldwich, Uncle Maddio’s Pizza, Charleston, SC
• Quinoa Fried Green Tomato BLT, Harvest Seasonal Grill & Wine Bar, Glen Mills, PA
• Fish Taco Wrap, Nature’s Table, Orlando
• Fenugreek Chicken, The Pierre Hotel, New York City
• Chicken Tikka Wrap, Revolution Sandwich, New York City