Winner: The All American
Restaurant: Prairie Dogs Hot Dogs & Handcrafted Sausage, Minneapolis
Sandwich Creator: Chef Craig Johnson
Inspiration: “This was our way of blending the great American breakfast (eggs, bacon, potatoes) with the great American lunch (hotdogs).”
Key Ingredients: All beef natural casing hot dog, crispy pork belly, sriracha aioli, Southern-style hash browns and a free-range egg.
Food Cost: $2.75
What the Judges Said: The idea of combining breakfast and lunch together is not unusual (some call it brunch), but rarely does a hotdog get cast in such a role. And while an egg on a hotdog may confuse some people, it doesn’t take long for them to realize that once the yolk is broken, you’ve just added another sauce to an already great sandwich featuring pork belly. None of its rocket science, but one taste of this dog and your taste buds will fly to the moon.
• Double Barrel Beef Wagyu Hot Dog, Bourbon Pub, Santa Clara, CA
• Our Signature, Steve’s Snapp, Denver
• Gila Monster, Copper Country Rendezvous, Globe, AZ
• PBB&JJ, Steamie Weenie, Henderson, NV
• The Johnny Drama, Danny Boys Pizza, Sandusky, OH