Winner: Chicken Skin Sliders
Restaurant: Liquid Riot Bottling Company, Portland, ME
Sandwich Creator: Chef Nick Krunkkala
Inspiration: To create something that was inexpensive and packed with a ton of flavor.”
Key Ingredients: Crispy fried chicken skin, Sour Trouble orange marmalade, pretzel bun.
Food Cost: $1.20
What the Judges Said: Why more chefs don’t utilize chicken skin the way Krunkkala does here is beyond us. What a crazy-cool idea. To offset the richness of the fried skins, he reduces fresh oranges in their own juices and a splash of slightly sour beer. The result is a not-to-sweet marmalade that provides a perfect counterpoint to the powerfully flavored skins. Yum!
• All American, Chips N’Ales, Norman, OK
• Chicken Katsu, State Park, Cambridge, MA
• Chick n’ Shack, Shake Shack, New York City
• Korean Fried Chicken, Red Star Sandwich Shop, Brooklyn, NY
• Honey Chicken & Pickles, Jacob’s Pickles, New York City