Annual Sales: $10.5 million
• Richard DeShantz, chef/owner
• Tolga Sevik, co-owner
• Meat & Potatoes (gastropub serving seasonal American fare)
• Butcher and the Rye (contemporary rustic Americana fare with an extensive whiskey collection)
• Tako (modern Mexican street food with Asian accents)
• Pork & Beans, a pork-driven restaurant that will include upscale barbecue menu items
WHY IT’S COOL: So many of the rustbelt cities that many thought would wither away have come back in a big way in recent years. A lot of that revival can be attributed to chefs like Richard DeShantz, who have created vibrant, exciting restaurants that energize a city. The Pittsburgh native learned much from revered chef Charlie Trotter, but he understands the current zeitgeist of culinary culture, and he eschews fine dining in favor of casual, hip restaurants that draw younger crowds. Check out all the can’t-miss touchpoints he’s hitting—gastropub, rustic, whiskey, street food, barbecue. DeSchantz is a smart guy in and out of the kitchen.