Chicago native Ryan Poli has worked in some of the world’s most celebrated restaurants, including several in Spain and at the French Laundry in Napa. He cooked at a number of Chicago restaurants, including Butter, which Esquire named a Best New Restaurant. After Chicago he worked with the teams at Dan Barber’s Blue Hill Stone Barns in Pocantico Hills, NY, and in Denmark with Rene Redezepi at the celebrated Noma. His most recent gig is at The Catbird Seat in Nashville as the executive chef.
1. Spoon. I stole one from my grandma’s house. I use it all the time for cooking and basting. It’s the perfect weight, cup size and fits perfectly in my hand.
2. Emergen-C. During the day I drink it with water. I don’t drink that much alcohol any more, but if I did, I would enjoy a nice glass of champagne.
3. Clothing. Love wearing my Phish (rock and roll band) t-shirts.
4. Chicken Parmesan. Who doesn’t love chicken Parmesan? I pound out the chicken, bread it, fry it, add arrabiata sauce, some fresh buffalo mozzarella, cover it with Parmesan cheese and throw it in the oven until bubbly. I sometimes make it for staff meals.
5. Ideas in Food. I go to a ton of crazy websites, but get a lot of inspiration from the Ideas in Food blog.