Jenn Louis is the chef/owner, along with her husband David Welch, of Lincoln and Sunshine Tavern in Portland, OR. Last year, Louis was named one of Food & Wine’s Best New Chefs.
1. One thing you don’t know about me is that I play drums. My kit is a German wooden vintage 1960’s Sonor.
2. If I could trade places with one chef it would be Mark Rosati, the culinary director of Shake Shack. He travels a ton and understands running kitchens internationally.
3. One of my most memorable meals was at Hostaria del Rio, a small restaurant in Castelvetro di Modena in Italy. Three sisters run it and the food is wonderful. I had a great meal with my husband David and a friend, Andrew Sessa, on a trip to research my upcoming book on Italian dumplings. And when I asked how they made the gnocchi, they gave me a great gnocchi lesson the following day.
4. If there were no date shakes, I’d have no reason to live.
5. My go-to drink is bourbon; neat or with a few rocks.
6. If I were on death row my last meal would be tacos—lots of tacos.
7. My worst culinary creation was a burnt potato soup at my first catered dinner back in 2000. The menu was already printed so we called it smoked potato soup and the guests ate every drop.
8. If I could change one thing about me it would be I’d sleep later.
9. My favorite junk food is peanut butter malt balls.
10. If I wasn’t a restaurant operator, I’d love to be a bounty hunter.