Sponsored by JENNIE-O®
Some of the most exciting food news happens between sliced bread, on a bun or in a wrap. Signature turkey sandwiches are pleasing patrons everywhere from fast-casual and casual-dining restaurants to college and university dining halls and health care cafeterias.
Two versatile products — new JENNIE-O® Shaved Turkey Steak and JENNIE-O® Turkey Ham, an established favorite — are the keys to making turkey sandwiches that are delicious, on-trend, nutritious and easy to execute.
Sandwiches are a menu staple. Of consumers who eat sandwiches, 76 percent say they purchase a sandwich from a restaurant or other foodservice location at least once a month, with 42 percent doing so at least once a week, says the 2018 Sandwich Consumer Trend Report by the market research firm Technomic.
Operators have reasons for appreciating sandwiches too. They can be made largely with ingredients already on hand in the kitchen. They require little skill and labor to execute. They are easily customized to follow eating trends. And they work for all dayparts and eating occasions.
The case for signature turkey sandwiches
There is a lot to be said for featuring turkey in sandwich creations. For starters, there’s the consumer perception of turkey as a protein that is healthful as well as flavorful. Its mild, pleasing taste appeals to consumers who seek a novel alternative to red meat without sacrificing flavor. And for those who follow high-protein diets like keto and paleo, it is tailor-made.
Also noteworthy is how well turkey accepts other flavorings. It is the perfect showcase for seasonings, rubs, sauces and garnishes. In fact, turkey can carry virtually any flavor profile that an operator can dream up and layer on. That’s a valuable attribute, given that 39 percent of consumers (50 percent of those ages 18-34) say they’d like restaurants to offer more sandwiches with new or unique flavors, Technomic says.
In health care operations, turkey delivers great taste while meeting dietary standards. In college and university settings, its versatility pleases students in synch with fast-breaking food trends. For operators in all segments, turkey’s relative affordability results in higher profit margins when it replaces costlier proteins in signature sandwiches.
Why JENNIE-O® Shaved Turkey Steak?&
New JENNIE-O® Shaved Turkey Steak is a springboard for creative sandwiches that appeal to adventurous eaters as well as health-conscious consumers.
Major selling points include:
- Premium quality, texture and flavor.
- Because it is unseasoned, it can be customized with other flavor profiles.
- Comes in generous 4-ounce breast portions, frozen and ready to cook.
- Cooks in only 3-5 minutes on the flattop.
- Can be cut into chunks, battered and fried.
- Versatile not only for sandwiches, but also for appetizers, pastas, salads and entrées.
JENNIE-O® Turkey Ham is another plus for sandwich designers. This fully cooked, ready-to-use, all-around performer lends great taste to breakfast sandwiches, classic deli subs and many other applications that call for a lean, tasty protein.
Going global with turkey sandwiches
To capture the imagination of consumers who are adventurous and health-conscious, try JENNIE-O® Shaved Turkey Steak and JENNIE-O® Turkey Ham in globally inspired sandwich ideas like these:
- Turkey Cemita: A sesame roll filled with marinated, seared shaved turkey steak, Oaxaca cheese, sliced avocado and chipotle sauce, in the style of Mexican cemita sandwiches.
- Turkey Gyro: This twist on the typical red-meat Greek gyro sandwich is made with shaved turkey steak marinated in olive oil, lemon and oregano, seared and served in a pita with tzatziki sauce.
- Turkey Cubano: Turkey ham adds distinction to this rendition of the Cuban sandwich, pressed between Cuban bread along with roast pork, Swiss cheese, mustard and pickles.
- Turkey Croque Monsieur: A French-style grilled turkey ham and cheese sandwich topped with bechamel sauce. Crowned with a fried egg, it is a Turkey Croque Madame.
Riffing on sandwich favorites
JENNIE-O® Shaved Turkey Steak and JENNIE-O® Turkey Ham also make familiar sandwiches more flavorful, distinctive and better for you:
- Turkey Cheesesteak: Seared shaved turkey steak replaces the beef in this reimagined Philly Cheesesteak.
- Breakfast Bagels and Biscuits: Turkey ham is a flavorful feature of breakfast sandwiches served all day.
- Turkey French Dip: In lieu of beef, pile juicy slices of seared shaved turkey steak on a baguette. Serve with a cup of au jus on the side for dipping.
Clearly, turkey has shown itself to be a creative and flavorful addition to any menu, and operators will want to tap in to the excitement generated by this universally appealing protein. So don't miss out. Visit jennieofoodservice.com for more creative menu ideas for using new JENNIE-O® Shaved Turkey Steak and JENNIE-O® Turkey Ham.