Annual Sales: $30 million
• Tom Morales, proprietor
• Lauren Morales, c.o.o.
• Matt Farley, executive chef
• Saffire Restaurant & Bar (a renovated factory setting with an eclectic menu of international foods with a southern flair)
• The Southern Steak & Oyster (wood-fired meats, southern-fried staples and an oyster bar)
• Acme Feed & Seed (multilevel venue with creative cuisine, cocktails, live music and a rooftop patio)
• The Southernaire Market (a New Orleans-style neighborhood grocery and butcher shop)
• Fin & Pearl (a fresh seafood concept featuring a raw bar opening in the fall)
WHY IT’S COOL: TomKats is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year, which begs the question: Why only four restaurants? TomKats operated only as an onsite movie catering company for many years (it provided grub for The Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire and The Devil Wears Prada). But once Morales decided to operate restaurants, he proved that it’s more than a behind-the-scenes player. Its restaurants tap into what may be the hottest culinary trend today—Southern food and flair. Four restaurants doing $30 million in sales? You do the math. Morales and Farley know their stuff, and customers can’t get enough of what they offer.
Next: AvroKO Hospitality