Cameron Mitchell is the president and founder of Cameron Mitchell Restaurants, a $250 million organization that consists of Cameron Mitchell Specialty Restaurants, Ocean Prime, The Rusty Bucket and Cameron Mitchell Premier Events. Restaurant Hospitality awarded him the Richard Melman Innovator Award in 2005.
1. One thing you don’t know about me is that I was president of my senior class in high school, but I did not fulfill my graduation requirements and could not give the commencement address.
2. If I could trade places with one chef it would be Thomas Keller because every time we are at a CIA (Culinary Institute of America) board meeting, he has 30 students lined up for pictures and autographs. It’s pretty cool!
3. If there were no potatoes, I’d have no reason to live. I like them any way they’re prepared. Clearly, I’m a meat and potatoes guy!
4. My go-to drink is California Chardonnay or Tanqueray and tonic.
5. If I were on death row my last meal would be a great steak (filet, preferably) and lobster tails with all the sides.
6. If I could change one thing about me I’d be a runner. I have tried dozens of times and cannot get committed.
7. My favorite junk food is any kind of ice cream and cookies.
8. If I wasn’t a restaurant operator, I’d love to be a real estate developer. The site selection part of restaurant development is almost as interesting as the kitchen.
9. If I could have a meal with anyone living or dead, it would be General Norman Schwarzkopf. I saw him speak once and he was incredible.
10. Naturally, I would make him a great steak dinner while we sat on my back patio.