Ernesto Uchimura is the executive chef/partner of Plan Check Kitchen + Bar, a group of neighborhood restaurants serving comfort food in L.A.
1. One thing you don’t know about me is that I have a twin sister. We are 10 minutes apart.
2. The best advice I ever got was “keep it simple, stupid!” It’s really helpful advice from creating dishes to setting up operations.
3. If there was no Prosciutto di Parma, I’d have no reason to live.
4. My go-to drink is a Trinidad sour.
5. If I were on death row my last meal would be a stack of buttermilk pancakes slathered with a ton of butter and pure maple syrup. I’d also have a plate of bacon on the side.
6. If I could change one thing about me it would be my age. I’d love to go back and experience it all over again.
7. My favorite junk food is dollar Chinese food—beef and broccoli, orange chicken, fried rice and Coke in a can.
8. If I wasn’t a restaurant operator, I’d love to be a detective.
9. If I could have a meal with anyone living or dead, it would be with family members.
10. I would make them my spin on comfort food from my family: empanadas, braised brisket, spit-roasted meats, vegetable stew, matzo ball soup and ultra-fresh sashimi.