Takashi Yagihashi is the chef/owner of Slurping Turtle, a ramen joint, and Tabo Sushi by Takashi, both in Chicago. He has a second Slurping Turtle in Ann Arbor, MI. His flagship restaurant, Takashi, recently closed.
1. One thing you don’t know about me is that I really hate heights and snakes.
2. If I could trade places with one chef it would be no one. I am happy with who and where I am. I would not trade that.
3. One of my most memorable meals was in 1994 at Bouley in New York City.
4. If there were no ramen, soba and shima-aji sushi, I’d have no reason to live.
5. My go-to drink is Japanese whiskey.
6. If I were on death row I’d be careful to eat healthy for my last meal.
7. My worst culinary creation was roasted venison with squid ink sauce.
8. If I could change one thing about me I would have spent more time in Japan with my mother and sister. I’ve lived more than 30 years in this country.
9. My favorite junk food is beef jerky.
10. If I wasn’t a restaurant operator, I’d love to be a writer.