Hugh Acheson is the James Beard Award-winning author and chef/partner of 5 & 10, The National and Cinco y Diez in Athens, GA, and Empire State South in Atlanta. His new restaurant, The Florence, recently opened in Savannah, GA.
1. One thing you don’t know about me is that I really hate turtlenecks.
2. If I could trade places with one person it would be filmmaker Wes Anderson. He has a wonderfully busy brain.
3. One of my most memorable meals was just this month at Night & Market in Los Angeles. They offer wonderfully spicy, spicy Thai food. It’s a really smart restaurant full of great people.
4. If there were no carrots, I’d have no reason to live.
5. My go-to drink is bourbon.
6. If I were on death row my last meal would be? I hate this question; I’m not a fan of the death penalty.
7. My worst culinary creation was a stewed adzuki bean casserole I made when I was 16. Totally gross. I didn’t realize that it is a sweet bean.
8. If I could change one thing about me I would spend more time with my kids and less time at work.
9. My favorite junk food is sour cream and onion potato chips.
10. If I wasn’t a restaurant operator, I’d love to be a an architect. I love figuring out systems and laying out paths.