Christina Tosi is the chef/owner/founder of Milk Bar, the bakery-inspired dessert branch of the Momofuku restaurant group. She is the 2012 recipient of the James Beard Rising Star Chef Award and a finalist for the 2014 James Beard Outstanding Pastry Chef Award. Tosi will be the newest juge on Fox's MasterChef and MasterChef Junior and her new cookbook, Milk Bar Life, will be coming out April 7th.
1. One thing you don’t know about me is that I’m afraid of the dark, the deep end and scary movies. The movie Jaws highly influenced my fear of the last two.
2. If I could trade places with one chef it would be Dorie Greenspan. I think she’s just about the best. Being the sweetest, coolest woman and most talented baker who has a loving family with homes in multiple, endearing cities. Her life seems like a pretty great dream come true.
3. One of my most memorable meals was five years ago at L’Astrance in Paris.
4. If there were no cheese, I’d have no reason to live.
5. My go-to drink is a strong cup of coffee, a glass of sparkling water or a gin and tonic, depending on the time of day and, I suppose, my mood.
6. If I were on death row my last meal would be a frita con queso, a caballo and a watermelon juice from El Mago de las Fritas in Miami.
7. My worst culinary creation was barbecue-flavored soft serve. This opinion is largely based on the lack of sales of said-mentioned creation. I thought it was pretty darn tasty.
8. If I could change one thing about me it would be my need for sleep. I’d work all day and stay up all night watching movies and doing arts and crafts if it weren’t for that pesky need to sleep.
9. My favorite junk food is chocolate chip cookie dough, warmed slightly in the microwave and, depending on how much of it I ate, a bag of sour cream and onion potato chips.
10. If I wasn’t a restaurant operator, I’d love to be a linguist.