Winner: Italian Sub
Restaurant: Nonna’s, Chicago
Sandwich Creator: Owner John Ross
Inspiration: “To pay homage to my Italian grandmother, Nonna Formento.”
Key Ingredients: Salami, mortadella, capicola, provolone, lettuce, onion, Italian dressing, and semolina-sesame bread.
Food Cost: $2.68
What the Judges Said: We got dozens of entries very similar in style to this sandwich. It’s surprising how so many focus on the ingredients inside the sandwich, but fall down when it comes to the bread. Bread that looks and tastes as if it came from a quick-service joint just won’t cut it. In this case, Ross uses top-notch filler ingredients and then puts it between artisan-baked bread. Look at this sandwich! We’d run over our nonna to get to it first.
• Dixie Muffuletta, Rebel Bourbon Bar, Williamsburg, VA
• Jack’s Outlaw, Jack’s New Yorker Deli, Atlanta
• Metro, J Pistone Market & Gathering Place, Shaker Heights, OH
• The Italian Sub, Quartino Ristorante & Wine Bar, Chicago
• Open-Faced Crawfish Boil Poboy, Grand Isle, New Orleans
Next: Grilled Cheese