Winner: Caramelized Mushroom & Onion Sandwich
Restaurant: Bread & Butterfly, Atlanta
Sandwich Creator: Chef Bryan Stoffelen
Inspiration: “This sandwich flips classic, comforting French onion soup on its head and turns it into a sandwich.”
Key Ingredients: Proof Bakeshop bread, caramelized onions and mushrooms, Comte cheese and red wine jus for dipping.
Food Cost: $3.30
What the Judges Said: In the large field of pressed sandwiches, Stoffelen’s stood alone. The idea of turning French onion soup (who doesn’t like French onion soup?) into a sandwich is brilliant. The Comte cheese was the perfect gooey choice, but it was the jus that put it over the top.
• El Cubano, Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar, Philadelphia
• Piadina Rimini di Vitaly: Vitaly, Costa Mesa, CA
• Monte Cristo: Cake & Ale Restaurant, Decatur, GA
• Grilled Lamb Piadina: Strada 18, Norwalk, CT
• Smashed Cochon: Café Adelaide & the Swizzle Stick Bar, New Orleans