Yield: 4 to 6 servings.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 12 oz. sweet and/or hot Italian sausage
- 1 medium-sized onion, sliced
- 3 cans (141⁄2 oz. each) readyto-serve reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14 to 19 oz.) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 piece (4” square) Parmigiano-Reggiano® cheese rind (optional)
- 3 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano® in 1” piece
- 4 cups packed escarole leaves, sliced in 1” pieces
- 4 to 6 slices Italian bread, toasted and brushed with oil
In a heavy 4-qt. saucepan over medium heat, heat oil. Add sausage and onion; cook and stir until sausage is lightly browned on all sides and onion is golden, about 5 minutes. Add broth, beans, and Parmigiano-Reggiano rind, if using. Bring to a boil; cook until sausage is cooked thro ugh and cheese rind is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, pull a vegetable peeler or cheese slicer across Parmigiano-Reggiano to make thin shavings; crumble remaining cheese and set aside. Remove sausage and cheese rind to cutting board. Slice sausage crosswise; cut rind into small cubes; return to soup along with escarole. Return to a boil. Divide soup among soup bowls. Place one toast slice in center of each serving. Arrange Parmigiano-Reggiano shavings on crostini; sprinkle crumbled cheese on soup.