With more restaurants interjecting personality and whimsy into their breakfast and brunch menus, customers have begun to expect the unexpected. Ashmont Grill in Dorchester, MA, takes a seasonal approach. Its late fall brunch menu featured items such as egg strata with pumpkin, leeks and pears. At Culinary Dropout inside the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, weekend brunch offers playful twists on the classics, such as the Cap’n Crunch Crusted French Toast, and the Bacon Bloody Mary with bacon-infused vodka.
Waffles are coming back into their own, too, with various interpretations of this traditional breakfast item being served at dinner. Examples include the regional flavors of Chipotle Shrimp and Waffles at Kachina Southwestern Grill in Westminster, CO. The dish is made with blue corn waffles and served with grilled corn salsa. In Chicago at Hash House A Go Go, Sage Fried Chicken and Waffles feature bacon-batter waffles and sage-fried chicken breasts topped with fried leeks and drizzled with a hot maple reduction.
Among this month’s recipes you’ll find two waffle ideas for morning menus—the Asian-inspired Saigon Cinnamon Banana Waffles, and Chicken and Waffles with Maple Crème and Bacon from the Sunday brunch menu at XEN Lounge in Studio City, CA. Also look for global egg recipes like Eggs Benedict with Peacock Sauce from Peacock Garden Café in Coconut Grove, FL, and Eggs Poached in Avocados with Diablo Sauce, from Ina’s Restaurant in Chicago. These recipes, and more, appear on the pages that follow.
• Potato Pancake Short Stack
• Sweet and Savory Onion Pie
• Xen Lounge's Chicken & Waffles with Maple Creme and Bacon
• Urban Table Morning Potatoes
• Cloud 9 Roasted Pear, Spinach & Gorgonzola Omelet
• Breakfast Strata with Dry-Aged Bacon, Gruyere Cheese and Sweet Cherries
• Mango Sausage Potato Breakfast Burrito
• Eggs Poached in Avocados with Diablo Sauce
• Strawberry Yogurt Lassi
• Saigon Cinnamon-Banana Waffles
• Gardener's Eggs Benedict with Peacock Sauce
Photo: Idaho Potato Commission