Yields: 6 portions
Source: Pastry Chef Rebecca Masson, The Red Cat, New York, NY
For more information, please visit www.blueberry.org
1/4 cup arborio rice
Salt as needed
1 cup milk
1 envelope (1/4 ounce) yeast, dry
1-1/3 cups flour, unsifted all-purpose
Sugar as needed
1/2 cup blueberries
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
1/16 teaspoon cardamom, ground
Vegetable oil as needed
Blueberry ginger sauce:
1/2 cup sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated
4 cups blueberries
Vanilla ice cream or gelato as needed
1. In a small pan over high heat, bring 1 cup water to a boil. Stir in rice and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook until rice is tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Drain rice and set aside to cool.
2. Meanwhile, in a small pan over low heat, heat the milk until bubbles form at the edge. Set aside to cool to 100º to 110º F. When cooled, sprinkle yeast over milk and allow to soften for 5 minutes, then whisk until combined.
3. In a medium bowl, combine flour, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt; add yeast mixture and stir until smooth. Fold in rice and blueberries, cover, and set aside in a warm place until mixture doubles in size, about 30 minutes.
4. Combine 1/2 cup sugar with the cinnamon, cardamom, and 1/16 teaspoon salt; set aside.
5. Prepare the Blueberry Ginger Sauce: In a small pan over high heat, stir 2/3 cup water, 1/2 cup sugar and fresh ginger; bring to a boil and cook 1 minute. In a large bowl, place 4 cups fresh blueberries and pour the hot ginger syrup over and stir to combine; set aside.
6. Just before serving, in a medium pan, over medium-high heat, bring 3 inches vegetable oil to 375º F. Make fritters by dropping 3 to 5 heaping tablespoons of the dough at a time into the hot oil and fry until golden on one side. Turn fritters and fry until golden on the other side, about 5 minutes in all. Remove fritters to paper towels with a slotted spoon to drain. Repeat with remaining dough to make about 30 fritters.
7. To serve, toss warm fritters in the sugar and spice mixture. Arrange 4 fritters on a dessert plate. Place another fritter on top of them. Add a scoop of ice cream and top with Blueberry Ginger Sauce.Table of Contents
- Mediterranean Turkey Wrap
- Carnitas and Mango Pizza
- Hoisin Pork Buns
- King Crab Thai Curry with Coconut Jasmine Rice
- Hawaiian Pizza
- Marionberry-Pomegranate Shake
- Sea Clam Bruschetta
- Variety Bread Pull-Apart Loaf
- "Seven Treasures" Clam and Vegetable Stir-Fry
- Blueberry Risotto Fritters with Blueberry-Ginger Sauce
- Tater Crust Sandwich
- Steak Fajitas
Go to the Restaurant Hospitality website!