Garden Hearts® Jumbo Hearts of Romaine Lettuce
10 oz. country-loaf style bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
Red wine vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper
Fontina cheese, cut into ½ inch cubes
Large yellow, meaty heirloom tomato, cut into ½ inch cubes
Large red, meaty heirloom tomato, cut into ½ inch cubes
Small red onion, chopped
Fresh parsley, minced
Smoked Black Forest ham, cut into ½-inch (or smaller) cubes
Fresh parsley for garnish
1. Cut one inch from the base of the Garden Hearts®, rinse under cold, running water and let air-dry. Cut crosswise into 1-inch strips, place in a large bowl and chill.
2. Toss the bread cubes with ½ cup of olive oil and spread on a large baking sheet. Bake at 325° F, stirring once or twice, until crisp and lightly brown on the outside but still soft on the inside (about 15 minutes); let cool.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Slowly add the remaining ½ cup of olive oil, whisking constantly.
4. Add the cheese, tomatoes, celery, onion and parsley and toss. Add the croutons, toss to coat and let stand for 5 minutes.
5. Add lettuce and ham and toss salad, adding a parsley sprig for garnish, and serve.