1 cup olive oil
¼ cup Madeira
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
3 Tbsps. sugar
1 ½ Tbsps. minced fresh garlic
2 Tbsps. fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
6 ea. large portobello mushrooms, cut in half, gills removed
6 ea. 6 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed, halved
2 cups packed spinach leaves, washed, stemmed
Water as needed
24 sheets phyllo dough
½ cup truffle butter (melted)*
3 cups demi glace
Fresh ground black pepperDIRECTIONS:1. For the marinade:, Combine all the marinade ingredients and mix well. Divide marinade into two equal portions. Marinate the mushrooms in one part for 30 minutes. Drain and hold.
2. For the chicken: marinate the chicken breasts in the other half of marinade for 6 hours or more, up to two days. Drain the breasts and poach or steam them gently until they reach an internal temperature of 150 °F. Chill the breasts immediately.
3. For the spinach: In steaming salted water (about 180 °F), quickly blanch the spinach for approximately 15 seconds. Remove and submerge in an ice bath. When the spinach is completely chilled, drain it and lay out the leaves between towels to dry.
4. To assemble: Lay one sheet of phyllo dough horizontally and very lightly brush it with some melted truffle butter. Top this with another phyllo sheet and brush with butter. Repeat this until you have a 4 sheet thick pile. Season the top sheet with salt and pepper and cut the sheets in half, top to bottom.
5. To fill the packages: At the bottom of each half, approximately 1 ½ inches from the bottom edge, center a few drained spinach leaves, one piece of mushroom (top side down) and one piece of chicken. Now, roll the package like a burrito or eggroll by folding the bottom edge up over the chicken, folding the sides up and then rolling the package forward, away from you one full turn. Make sure the edges stay tucked in. Trim off any excess dough at the top and press to seal the edges. Repeat until you have assembled all 12 packages.
6. Bake the packages at 350°F. until they are golden brown all over and are hot inside. (Approximately 15 minutes depending on the oven)
To plate: ladle 2 oz. of hot demi glace onto the center of each of 12 plates. Cut the hot packages in half diagonally to expose the layers. Arrange two halves in the center of the sauce and serve.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION: Calories 259 (29% from fat); Fat 8g (sat. 1.42g); Protein 23g; Carbohydrates 22g; Sodium 286mg; Cholesterol 53mg; Fiber .4g
*Analysis does not include truffle butter.
SERVINGS:12 servings Notes: These packages can be made smaller and passed on silver trays as hors d’oeuvres.
From:Christopher Linzey, Executive Chef, Fleet Center, Boston (Sportservice)