Winner: Smokebelly Stack
Restaurant: Smokebelly BBQ, Atlanta
Sandwich Creator: Chef John Piemonte
Inspiration: “Wanted to create an overstuffed sandwich, but not so big that it was ridiculous or hard to eat.”
Key Ingredients: House-rubbed and smoked pulled pork, and 10-spice-rubbed brisket, housemade chipotle aioli and baby arugula.
Food Cost: 40 percent
What the Judges Said: This was a tough category to judge because there were so many solid entries. Smokebelly edged its competitors because it got everything right: The seasoning dazzles, while the texture of pulled pork and brisket balanced beautifully. The chipotle aioli offered a tangy counterpoint that made this sandwich a delight from first to last bite.
• Smoked Pork Sammy with Bacon Bun: Smoke Shop, Cambridge, MA
• Santa Maria BBQ: Lunchbox by Bryan Voltaggio, Washington, D.C.
• The Big Bro: Two Bros BBQ Market, San Antonio
• Reubecue: Blackwood BBQ: Chicago
• The Big Muddy: Sugarfire Smokehouse, St. Louis