| Meal Type: Main Course, Entrée |
| Preparation Method: Roast |
12 Pound WHOLE TURKEY, fresh
4-1/2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
To Taste salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 Cups TURKEY STOCK
1-1/2 Medium onions, peeled and roughly chopped
1 Stalk celery, roughly chopped
2 Medium carrots, roughly chopped
Cranberry Jalapeno Relish
1 Large orange
1 Cup whole cranberries
2 Teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
2 Teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped
2 Teaspoons jalapeno chile, chopped
To Taste maple syrup
1-1/2 Tablespoons grapeseed oil
3 Medium shallots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 Cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 Medium jalapeno chiles, seeded and finely chopped
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Teaspoon ground cumin
1 Teaspoon ground coriander
1 Teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 Cup turkey pan roasting pan sauce
1 Cup veal demi-glace
1/2 Cup pecans, toasted and chopped
To Taste fresh lemon juice
To Taste salt
- Wash turkey well under cold running water. Pat dry. Remove excess fat from cavity. Tuck wings underneath body.
- Coat outside of turkey with 2 tablespoons of oil. Season skin and cavity with salt. Season cavity generously with pepper.
- Position turkey, on a rack, in a roasting pan, uncovered and place in a preheated 400 degree F oven. Roast for 20 minutes or until skin is golden.
- Lower oven temperature to 325 degrees F and roast for about 2½ hours, basting the breast every 15 minutes with stock and remaining oil. If skin begins to get too brown, cover loosely with aluminum foil. Place onion, celery and carrots around the turkey in the last hour of roasting. Continue to roast until the internal temperature reaches 180 degrees in the thigh.
- Remove pan from oven and place turkey on a warm platter and allow to rest for 15 minutes before slicing.
- Bring juices and vegetables to a boil in the roasting pan over medium heat on the stovetop. Heat to a boil; cook for 2 minutes, scraping pan.
- Pour through a fine strainer. With a small ladle, push the solids through. If necessary, remove grease.
- Reserve 1 cup or more of sauce for the Chili-Pecan Sauce.
- Keep turkey warm until ready to serve.
- Quickly chop orange zest and pulp, cranberries, ginger, cilantro and jalapeno in a food grinder using a small die. Do not puree.
- Add maple syrup and mix well.
- Cover and set aside for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add shallots, garlic and jalapenos. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano and cayenne. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add reserved turkey sauce and demi-glace. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Stir in pecans and season with salt and fresh lemon juice. Reserve hot for service.
- Slice turkey and fan the slices onto warmed dinner plates.
- Ladle hot Chili-Pecan Sauce over turkey, allowing it to spill out onto the plate.
- Spoon a small portion of Cranberry-Jalapeno Relish on each plate. Serve immediately.
|Nutrition Facts |
|Calories 690 Calories from Fat 340 |
|% Daily Value* |
|Total Fat 38g ||58% |
|Saturated Fat 9g ||45% |
|Cholesterol 205mg ||68% |
|Sodium 740mg ||31% |
|Total Carbohydrate 11g ||4% |
|Dietary Fiber 2g ||8% |
|Sugars 6g || |
|Protein 73g || |
|Vitamin A 15% || ||Vitamin C 35% |
|Calcium 10% || ||Iron 30% |
|*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on you calorie needs: |
| ||Calories: ||2000 ||2500 |
|Total Fat ||Less than ||65g ||80g |
|Sat Fat ||Less than ||20g ||25g |
|Cholesterol ||Less than ||300mg ||300mg |
|Sodium ||Less than ||2,400mg ||2,400mg |
|Total Carbohydrate || ||300g ||375g |
|Dietary Fiber || ||25g ||30g |
|Calories per gram: |
|Fat 9 || ||Carbohydrate 4 || ||Protein 4 || || |