¼ lb. butter for pan
4 cups water
pinch Kosher salt
2 tsps pepper
1 cup polenta
2 Tbsps. fresh basil, chiffonade
¼ lb. Asiago cheese, sliced thin
Wild Mushroom Ragout
4 Tbsps. salted butter
6 ozs. wild mushrooms, sliced
¼ cup dry white wine
1/3 cup heavy cream
Salt & pepper to tasteDIRECTIONS:1. Butter a cake or cookie sheet pan; reserve. Bring water, salt, and pepper to boil in a large saucepan. Slowly stir in polenta with a whisk to avoid lumps.
2. Reduce heat to low and stir to prevent sticking. Cook slowly 10 minutes.
3. Take off the heat, add fresh basil and stir.
4. Spread polenta mixture on buttered pan so that it is about 1 inch thick. Cool, cover with plastic and refrigerate up to a day in advance.
5. To Finish: Cut polenta into whatever shape you want. Grill until surface is slightly toasted. Turn, place a slice of Asiago cheese on top and allow to melt. Serve warm with wild mushroom ragout.
For Wild Mushroom Ragout:
1. Melt butter over medium heat and sauté the mushrooms until tender, approximately 5 minutes.
2. Add the wine and cook until nearly evaporated.
3. Add the heavy cream; simmer for 2 to 3 minutes and season with salt and pepper.SERVINGS:8 servingsFrom:Submitted by Gerard Marquetty, Senior Regional Chef, Lackmann Culinary Services