British celebrity chef Dan Doherty has been dropped as chef-consultant for an upcoming restaurant in New York’s Hudson Yards following reports of sexual misconduct, company officials confirmed Monday.
Slated to open in March in the planned Hudson Yards complex, the as-yet-unnamed concept was to be Doherty’s U.S. debut in partnership with London-based hospitality company Rhubarb. Doherty was known for his London restaurant Duck & Waffle and as co-host of the BBC television show, “Britain’s Best Home Cook.”
In a statement, P.B. Jacobse, Rhubarb’s CEO, said, “We have decided to end our consultancy agreement with Dan Doherty in view of the allegations of improprieties” published in The Sunday Times over the weekend.
The report said Doherty had been banned from his restaurant, The Royal Oak, for a month amid allegations that he had sexually harassed female staff members, but the report indicated the chef and partner had returned to a more limited position.
Royal Oak officials, however, tweeted Monday that Doherty was “no longer working at The Royal Oak with immediate effect,” and that the company would make no further comment about the reported incidents. “Our focus is on the well-being of our team and business.”
Also in a tweet Monday, Doherty said he is stepping away from the second season of “Britain’s Best Home Cook.” He said, “I want to say sorry. There are mistruths in what was published but I have made mistakes, mistakes I truly am sorry for.”
Contact Lisa Jennings at [email protected]
Follow her on Twitter: @livetodineout