With influences such as global cuisine and the USDA Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010 stressing whole grains, more grain-based dishes are migrating to the center of the plate.
Tapping into this resurgence of interest in global grains, we offer recipes demonstrating menu possibilities not only for rice and pasta varieties, but also millet, barley, farro and quinoa.
Regional American menu influences inspired several of this month’s recipes for pheasant, lamb, shrimp and chicken. The Pan-Seared Pheasant with Barley, Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Candied Beets and Beer-Carrot Emulsion is an idea from Sbrocco in Des Moines, while Buckwheat Risotto with Pear-Cippolini Chutney comes from Rattlesnake Club in Detroit. Jasper’s in Kansas City shares a recipe for Roasted Chicken with Cherry and Almond Wild Rice. Also, Ralph Brennan’s Cafe B in New Orleans offers Shrimp Creole with Green Onion Quinoa Salad.
Mediterranean flavors come through in Slow-Roasted Stuffed Lamb Belly, Farro Salad and Yogurt Dressing from SPQR in San Francisco and Penne with Braised Beef from Scarletti’s Restaurant in Downer’s Grove, IL. Other ideas include the seasonal First Watch Quinoa Power Bowl with chicken, feta and roasted tomatoes. Asian inspirations include Coconut Curried Vegetables with Shrimp featuring rice noodles, from Noodles & Co.
• Dill-Stuffed Beef with Edamame and Tofu Orzo
• Savory Pistachio and Duck Risotto Balls with Warm Pistachio Sultana Gremolata
• Pan-Seared Pheasant with Barley, Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Candied Beets and Beer-Carrot Emulsion
• Buckwheat Risotto with Pear-Cippolini Chutney
• Slow-Roasted Stuffed Lamb Belly, Farro Salad and Yogurt Dressing
• Coconut Curried Vegetables and Shrimp
• Sesame Seared Sole Roll
• Roasted Chicken with Cherry and Almond Wild Rice
• Penne with Braised Beef
• First Watch Quinoa Power Bowl
• Shrimp Creole with Green Onion Quinoa Salad